[Athen] Accessibility tips for foreign language faculty

Jeffrey Dell jeffreydell99 at gmail.com
Fri Nov 13 05:15:52 PST 2015

I agree with Joe that having the prooffing language and the language
set in the code for the web pages is critical.
One problem that I have noticed with online modules for foreign
language materials is very colorful graphics with text embedded in
them. Usually the color schemes are very low contrast. If it is just
colors specified in the coding then student can change browser
settings to compensate.
Materials that come from the publisher in PDF usually do not have the
language set to anything but English or had not been run through OCR
engines to recognize multiple languages contained in the documents.
In those cases the screen reader or TTS just reads gibberish. For
multiple language documents PDF documents are much harder to remediate
than Word.
Many of the professors in our classes create their own handouts or
their own PowerPoints and use the IME keyboards in Windows to type the
content. This creates the basics of a great document for the student
to read. The key is for professors to keep the original document and
to give access to it for the student. The second part of that last
sentence would seem to be obvious but some professors do not like
giving their documents to anyone electronically. That causes some
unnecessary arguments.
Jeff