[Athen] Technology Accessibility Policy?

Sheryl E. Burgstahler sherylb at uw.edu
Mon Nov 30 09:13:50 PST 2015

In the University of Washington IT Accessibility Guidelines (http://www.washington.edu/accessibility/files/2015/04/UW_IT_Accessibility_Guidelines.pdf) we say:

The University of Washington (UW) values diverse experiences and perspectives and strives to fully include everyone who engages with the UW. Inaccessible IT negatively impacts people with a variety of disabilities, including mobility/orthopedic.impairments, sensory impairments, specific learning disabilities, attention deficits, autism spectrum disorders, speech impairments, health impairments, and psychiatric conditions. The purpose of this document is to provide guidance to UW administrators, faculty, and staff for fulfilling the UW's commitment to equal access to information technology (IT) through the provision of accessible IT.

The UW makes its offerings accessible to individuals with disabilities in accordance with Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 and the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 (ADA) and the Amendments Act of 2008. Also, in its Executive Order No. 31, the UW affirms its commitment to providing access "in its services, programs, activities, education, and employment for individuals with disabilities." This commitment includes access to information technology (IT) that the UW develops, procures, or uses, such as websites, software, hardware, and media.