[Athen] TTY numbers -- still a thing?

Kathleen Cahill kcahill at mit.edu
Thu Apr 28 07:17:37 PDT 2016

Hi Colleagues,

We recently had a discussion with our Telecommunications staff who were trying to track down the former sites of all TTY devices that were on campus. A lot of them have been disconnected and or gotten rid of since they are an older technology. However, I would like to ask how your university is handling this issue. Do you have any TTYs on campus? Are they advertised on the university contact page? I know that Video Relay is much more in use as well as email by deaf/HOH users but I would like to know if there are any good reasons to retain TTYs, perhaps for consumers who have older technologies they still use for communication.

Thanks
Kathy

Kathleen Cahill
MIT Assistive Technology Information Center (ATIC)
77 Mass. Ave. 7-143
Cambridge MA 02139
(617) 253-5111
kcahill at mit.edu