[Athen] Accessible Medical Heath Record and Billing Software

Bossley, Pete bossley.5 at osu.edu
Tue Aug 9 17:54:15 PDT 2016

Ohio State uses the MyChart product in our Medical Center for patient access. While it isn’t perfect, it is somewhat workable for screen reader reliant users. Some of their menus aren’t coded properly; they fail to set roving tabindex or manage/trap for focus changes so users have to go hunting for the menu items and can walk off the drop-down. But at least the top-level items report that they have sub-items.
Their iOS app is actually surprisingly accessible but that is likely due to their heavy reliance on native UIKit elements.
That having been said, I have no idea what the backend looks like. My guess would be… Well, I’ll leave my cynicism out for now.
Best,