[Athen] Fwd: [WebAIM] a message to campus CIOs about access

Sean Keegan skeegan at ccctechcenter.org
Mon Feb 8 17:28:40 PST 2016

Interesting video and I think it will resonate with individuals differently
depending on the culture and conversations happening at their local
institution. As with any "tips" or "top 10" type conversations, I believe
it has to do with context.

For the CIOs or IT leadership with whom I have conversations, the topics
tend to focus on *how* and *what* to implement from an accessibility
perspective. There already tends to be a lot of support for the *why*
accessibility is important, but there can be challenges in understanding as
to what actionable steps to take. As Dr. Gunderson points out, you need to
have goals - where I have found the conversation break down is in
specifying exactly what those goals should be.

Regardless of whether or not all the tips may be relevant to your CIOs or
IT members, I do think there is an important point mentioned in tip #2 - by
not addressing IT accessibility, you could find yourself in a situation
where lawyers are in control of your business processes and IT.

Take care,
Sean