[Athen] ZoomText and competing screen magnification software

Jeremy Zhe-Heimerman Jeremy.Zhe-Heimerman at cortland.edu
Mon Jan 11 12:01:05 PST 2016

Hi folks,

We are in the process of updating some of our software and have been surprised at how much ZoomText has increased in cost. We don't have a huge demand for it on campus and would ideally like a license for something in the neighborhood of 5 concurrent users. In the past, we have purchased 50 licenses to install it on 50 machines around campus. Our IT folks looked into it and found that cost tripled since we last upgraded 5 years ago and they don't offer a concurrent user license.

I'm wondering how others deploy screen magnification software around campus.

Do you use ZoomText, a competitor, or just the built-in capabilities of operating systems?

If you use a competing product, what do you use? Are you happy with the quality and cost?

Have there been major improvements to operating system screen magnifiers in recent years that justify dropping the purchase of a separate product like ZoomText?

Thanks for any help you may be able to provide.

Best,

Jeremy Zhe-Heimerman, MS, MAT
Coordinator, Assistive Technology and Test Administration Services
Memorial Library, B-204
SUNY Cortland
81 Prospect Terrace
PO Box 2000