[Athen] Checking Softchalk Content Accessibility with WAVE?
Joseph.Sherman at cuny.edu
Thu Jan 14 08:43:27 PST 2016
Most pages behind a login cannot be evaluated using the method of pasting the link into an online tool, since it cannot access behind the login. In order to evaluate pages behind a login you need to use a browser plug-in on the page as you view it, or a tool that works like a "headless" browser. The WAVE plug-in for Chrome will do this. Some other options are:
Free Browser Plug ins for individual pages:
1) AInspector Sidebar<https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/ainspector-sidebar/> for FireFox evaluates the accessibility compliance of web pages based on WCAG 2.0 requirements using OpenAjax Alliance rulesets. It organizes the evaluation results by Rule Categories and WCAG Guidelines.
2) Add WAVE (Web Accessibility Evaluation Tool) to Google Chrome.<https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/wave-evaluation-tool/jbbplnpkjmmeebjpijfedlgcdilocofh>
3) aXe Developer Tools<https://addons.mozilla.org/eN-US/firefox/addon/axe-devtools/?src=userprofile> Add accessibility auditing to the Firefox Developer Tools
4) For IE, The Web Accessibility Toolbar (WAT)<https://github.com/ThePacielloGroup/WebAccessibilityToolbar/releases/tag/2015-05-20> has been developed to aid manual examination of web pages for a variety of aspects of accessibility.
For Multiple Pages paid tools:
3) Paid Service like http://tenon.io/, http://www.ssbbartgroup.com/amp/, http://www.deque.com/products/worldspace/
CUNY Computing & Information Services
395 Hudson St 6FL, 6-236
646-664-2167| Joseph.Sherman at cuny.edu<mailto:Joseph.Sherman at cuny.edu>
From: athen-list [mailto:athen-list-bounces at mailman13.u.washington.edu] On Behalf Of Nast, Joseph M
Sent: Thursday, January 14, 2016 10:53 AM
To: Access Technology Higher Education Network
Subject: [Athen] Checking Softchalk Content Accessibility with WAVE?
An instructor asked me for some assistance in checking accessibility of her Softchalk-created course material. Normally, one of my first "go-to" resources is WebAIM's WAVE accessibility tool. Using the link sent to me, my browser (Chrome\IE) opens the instructor's pages without problems.
However, pasting the same link into the WAVE tool directs me to a generic Softchalk search results page.
Has anyone ever evaluated an instructor's SoftChalk content for accessibility? If so, what tools did you use? Is it possible to utilize WAVE? Any tips or suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Joseph M. Nast<mailto:joseph.m.nast at lonestar.edu>
Assistive Technology Lab Coordinator
office phone: 281.290.3207
office room number: CASA 109j
Lone Star College Cy Fair<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__cyfair.lonestar.edu_&d=AwMFAg&c=mRWFL96tuqj9V0Jjj4h40ddo0XsmttALwKjAEOCyUjY&r=NS7sMOEYVINwm3e4REboGQG-NnI841o0NWYqtIwWJ4U&m=jFHk8oQ97-oFgSs4RfRYen3kcOSMY7RIG3H-kUxf7eI&s=CGdsGjhNTBG7HzYxVkM995JXvawOSI70XMAaK0ewtH4&e=>
Counseling, Career, and Disability Services<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.lonestar.edu_counseling-2Dservices.htm&d=AwMFAg&c=mRWFL96tuqj9V0Jjj4h40ddo0XsmttALwKjAEOCyUjY&r=NS7sMOEYVINwm3e4REboGQG-NnI841o0NWYqtIwWJ4U&m=jFHk8oQ97-oFgSs4RfRYen3kcOSMY7RIG3H-kUxf7eI&s=ETbYgMTT7s-a-APOETWnz-NLqZQAmnWgh68R9EQOyY4&e=>
The information in this e-mail is legally privileged and confidential information intended to be reviewed by only the individual or organization named above.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the athen-list