[Athen] who understands learning theory?

Jiatyan Chen jiatyan at stanford.edu
Thu Jul 28 09:48:54 PDT 2016

Hi Krista,

The theory sounds very much like the hypothesis(?) about separate learning styles, which has circulated (without sources) in many instructional resources, but I've not come across a good citation that these pathways are separate. The more current theories lean towards learning with all senses to reinforce each other.

You might be able to find research in Education, Psychology and Cognitive Science.

The scientific status of learning styles theories
DT Willingham, EM Hughes… - Teaching of Psychology, 2015
http://top.sagepub.com/content/42/3/266.full

Effective teaching: Sensory learning styles versus general memory processes
KD Arbuthnott, GP Krätzig - Comprehensive Psychology, 2015
http://cop.sagepub.com/content/4/06.IT.4.2.full

--
Jiatyan Chen
Stanford Online Accessibility Program (SOAP) Manager