[Athen] TTS not work when renting Kindle books on iOS but does when purchased?

KRISTA L. GREEAR greeark at uw.edu
Wed Oct 12 11:51:18 PDT 2016

Has anyone else encountered thus situation?

Student has learning disability, needs audio. Purchased Kindle book. Turned on features in Settings on iOS 8+ to use Text-to-Speech (TTS) with Kindle book<http://blog.the-ebook-reader.com/2015/02/19/how-to-enable-text-to-speech-on-ipad-iphone-for-kindle-ibooks-etc/>. Student rented book (specifically, Children of Immigration<https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002OEBNLU/ref=oh_aui_d_detailpage_o03_?ie=UTF8&psc=1> that says TTS is Enabled in product descriptions). TTS didn't work for rental book.

I bought the same book, rented it, verified that TTS worked only for first page or two then stopped. But TTS did work when I purchased the book (again, I used Children of Immigration<https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002OEBNLU/ref=oh_aui_d_detailpage_o03_?ie=UTF8&psc=1> on iOS 8+).

Is this a common Kindle thing? Renting a book denies you while purchasing the book grants you TTS use?

Krista Greear
Accessible Text & Technology Manager
UW Disability Resources for Students
greeark at uw.edu<mailto:greeark at uw.edu> | disability.uw.edu/<http://disability.uw.edu/%22%20%5Ct%20%22_blank>