[Athen] EASI 4-part webinar series on lms and accessible content

Norm Coombs norm.coombs at gmail.com
Wed Apr 5 20:28:01 PDT 2017

EASI 4-part LMS series and creating accessible content

*Accessibility of LMS: Content, Creation and Delivery (a 4-part webinar
series) *

–Thursdays April 20, 27, May 4 and 11

Times: 11 Pacific, noon Mountain, 1 Central and 2 Eastern

Series moderators: Hadi Rangin from the University of Washington and
Norm Coombs from EASI

Canvas Thursday April 20

Desire2Learn Thursday April 27

Blackboard Thursday May 4

Moodle Thursday May 11

While we all recognize the need to make Learning Management Systems
accessible for students with disabilities as required by federal and
state legislation, it is equally important to make them accessible for
both staff and faculty with disabilities. Course content is usually
created by content experts who may know very little about designing
their content to be accessible and who become overwhelmed with this new
obligation. Learning Management Systems must find ways –to help these
faculty. Presenters will talk both about the accessibility features in
their system and share what is being done to help non-technical faculty
create accessible content. Besides making PDF, Word and HTML documents
accessible, Faculty will need tools to assist them in providing captions
for videos, transcriptions for audio and video description of video action.

We are beginning to realize that an LMS can and should go beyondmaking
its structure and interaction accessible. Some LMS systems are looking
for ways to help their faculty content providers create content that is
accessible. We used to think a safe automobile was a technical
mechanical issue. Now car makers are building features into their cars
to assist the driver to drive more safely. The smart car is already
becoming a reality. Can we also have a smart LMS?

Read more about this seriesand learn about registration from:

http://easi.cc/clinic.htm and look under April webinars

Norm Coombs