[Athen] FW: Special Session Alert: Call to Action: Risk of major ADA amendments soon by the “ADA Education and Reform Act of 2017”
lissner.2 at osu.edu
Tue Apr 25 12:44:41 PDT 2017
The Great Lakes ADA Center, a member of the ADA National Network is sponsoring a Free Webinar session aimed at providing information about the pending threats to the ADA within Congress and calling on people to take action at the local level to stop the momentum that has been building. Act now and share this with your colleagues and friends! This is a fight that everyone needs to be a part of.
When: May 1, 2017
Time: 2-3:30pm ET
ADA Education and Reform Act of 2017 (H.R. 620) and similar ADA notification bills are gaining more steam in Congress than ever before. If any passes, it will have a devastating impact on the ADA by denying people with disabilities the power to enforce some of its requirements.
DREDF and other disability rights advocates are working—and need others to join them!—to counter the business lobby, which wants to make it much more difficult to attain accessibility when businesses such as stores, restaurants, hotels, etc. disregard their ADA responsibilities.
What would H.R. 620 (ADA Education and Reform Act of 2017) do?
• Remove any incentive for voluntary compliance.
• Require a person with a disability who encounters an access barrier to send a letter detailing the exact ADA provisions that are being violated.
• Reward non-compliance by allowing businesses generous additional timelines, even though the ADA's reasonable requirements are already over 25 years old!
• Perpetuate the myth that the ADA benefits unscrupulous lawyers rather than the truth: that the ADA is the most important civil rights law for people with disabilities.
• Ignores the extensive, free educational resources already available today to any business on how to comply with the law.
Join us for this webinar to learn more about what is happening with this quickly-moving bill, and how you and others can get involved.
The session will be captioned.
Telephone option (not toll free) is available as an option for audio or you can also connect via mobile app (limited accessibility for screen reader/voice over users) via your iPhone or Android device, including Kindle Fire HD
Registration is available on-line at : www.ada-audio.org<http://www.ada-audio.org/> (you will be required to set up an account on this website if you do not already have one)
Hope to see you on line
L. Scott Lissner, Chair AHEAD Public Policy Committee
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the athen-list