[Athen] Advise needed

Kluesner, Bryon Bryon-Kluesner at utc.edu
Fri Aug 11 18:02:07 PDT 2017

Athen colleagues and friends,

I need some advice and/or feedback. There has been pressure from administration to shift my position from the Adaptive Technology Coordinator to the Alt Text Coordinator. I maintain our AT software, show students how to use the AT, do the alt text requests, maintain the database of files and student requests. In 2016, I requested or scanned almost 1000 alt text requests. I have been told by a student user of JAWS that the files I provide from publishers are set up with headers and she does not have any issues with the files. Because of the recent AHEAD conference, I am now informed that all the file names must be changed to “01 Chapter, 02 Chapter”, etc. I do have a couple of student workers who can assist me with the file name changes. I have started with my current requested files and plan work back, by semester, to rename all 3000 titles in my database. I hope this shows good faith effort on my part.

Along with this issue, I am also expected to demonstrate to my department staff the steps to make all documents created within the office to be accessible before we disseminate them. While the accessibility check in Microsoft Word is useful, it is sometimes difficult to follow their steps to correct errors. I am feeling a little overwhelmed and could use some tips on how to stay up with these requests.

Thanks for reading.

Bryon

Bryon Kluesner, RhD
Adaptive Technology Coordinator
Disability Resource Center
Adjunct Professor
College of Health, Education & Professional Studies
University of Tennessee at Chattanooga
642 E. 5th St. University Center, Suite 108
Chattanooga, TN 37403