[Athen] Guidelines for captioning video

Krista Greear greeark at uw.edu
Wed Aug 23 17:40:53 PDT 2017

Our Accessible Technology Services obtained a pot of money for a pilot. This is how it was marketed –
Free video captioning, research study
Take advantage of the opportunity to have UW-IT’s Accessible Technology Services caption your highly viewed UW video presentation at no charge, making it more accessible to everyone. To qualify, videos should be used multiple times in one or more courses, or provided for the public on a department’s website. Instructors and units may apply online<http://engage.washington.edu/site/R?i=8zbkQzMPa4KVzMWPMlgByA> for this limited, fall and winter quarter offer. Faculty interested in participating in a research study, using multiple captioning options in their class, can check that box on the application.

I am mostly confident they did not captioned everything for everyone who submitted a request. The idea was to give departments/profs some free captioned material that they could reuse. And hopefully garner support for departments to captioning materials. No idea if this will be an ongoing thing but I sure hope so!

Krista

KRISTA GREEAR
Assistant Director
Disability Resources for Students

011 Mary Gates Hall
Box 352808
Seattle, WA 98195-2808
Direct: 206.221.4136 / Main: 206.543.8924
greeark at uw.edu<mailto:greeark at uw.edu>/ http://disability.uw.edu<http://disability.uw.edu/>