[Athen] Is Windows 10 driving anyone else crazy?

Howard Kramer hkramer at ahead.org
Tue Dec 5 11:40:21 PST 2017

Thank you all for sharing that - I feel less alone. Misery loves company.

:-)

-Howard

On Tue, Dec 5, 2017 at 8:04 AM, Susan Kelmer <Susan.Kelmer at colorado.edu>
wrote:

> I have been using Windows 10 against my will for the last year on my

> personal laptop. After a year, I still hate it with the passion of a

> thousand burning suns. Maybe more than a thousand.

> They broke what worked. The start menu is a freaking joke, it puts

> whatever it wants there instead of what I am actually using all the time.

> The only way for me to open programs now is to windows-button then type in

> the program I’m looking for. I used to be able to click the most used ones

> or at least select them with windows key and my up or down arrow keys, but

> no more. The preview feature that works so well on Windows 7, on Windows

> 10 is combined with the little “show all/hide all” spot in the lower left

> corner, and of course my mouse ends up down there all the time, hiding all

> my windows even if I’m actively typing. So I had to turn off the preview

> of the taskbar in order to fix that but now I don’t have the previews I

> used to count on to figure out which task bar button to open (I usually

> have the task bar pretty full of open programs. The personalized settings

> for screen savers is totally borked…they work randomly and seldom. I also

> can no longer schedule updates at my convenience, even with workarounds,

> and I will walk away from my laptop for a few hours and come back and find

> it either updating, or it just finished an update and rebooted. This

> despite telling it not to do updates except in the middle of the night. I

> spend twenty minutes trying to get everything back open again and of course

> it didn’t save anything it should have saved, so I’ve got all these random

> documents that now need to be saved, but can’t be saved over their original

> file name, but need a NEW file name. I have tried to once a week do an

> “install updates and reboot” or “install updates and shut down” with the

> start menu but it doesn’t actually install updates…when you boot it back

> up, THEN it does updates. I had one last week like that, told it to

> “install and shut down” as I left my house, came back many hours later to

> grab the laptop for a meeting, and turned it on, and it spent 90 minutes

> installing updates. I had to take paper notes for my meeting.-

> Krista gave some good tips, these are most things I’ve already done. Edge

> is awful and Microsoft just needs to get out of the browser business now.

> Didn’t they learn anything by watching Netscape’s demise??

> It amazes me how much Microsoft doesn’t listen to its main clients,

> BUSINESSES AND SCHOOLS. None of their “improvements” are improvements at

> all, they are just more obstacles, more things to learn (sometimes a huge

> learning curve). So annoying!

> *Susan Kelmer*

> *Alternate Format Production Program Manager*

> *Disability Services*

> *University of Colorado Boulder*

> *303-735-4836 <(303)%20735-4836>*

Howard Kramer
Conference Coordinator
Accessing Higher Ground
303-492-8672
cell: 720-351-8668

Join us for the *Accessing Higher Ground Conference
<http://accessinghigherground.org/>* in Denver, Colorado, Nov 13-17, 2017.