[Athen] MathML Accessibility Guidelines

Brian Richwine blrichwine at gmail.com
Fri Feb 10 13:03:46 PST 2017

Hello,

Do anyone know of a guidance document for creating proper MathML for
accessibility? Kind of a WCAG for MathML?

A major publisher provided us what they are calling an accessible HTML
textbook. However, the MathML employed in the textbook is designed for
display formatting instead of as appropriate for a non-visual user.

By display MathML I mean that the MathML makes heavy use of mtables
(including multiple levels of nested mtables) to layout equations and
annotation of equations within a multi-columnar/multi-row arrangement. The
tables do not linearize logically. When it's not a total mess, the
non-visual user would still have to develop an spacial 2D guess as how the
math equation is arranged and then analyze the multiple nested tables into
a 2D space around that equation before making any sense of the annotation.

If possible, I'm looking for some official or at least respected source of
this information so that the publisher will take the feedback as credible.

I'd also be interested if anyone has had successful conversations with a
publisher regarding appropriate use of MathML in textbooks for
accessibility.

Thanks,
Brian Richwine

Manager, UITS Assistive Technology and Accessibility Centers, Indiana
University

https://atac.iu.edu

(812) 856-2757 [Direct Line]

(812) 856-4112 [Office Number]