[Athen] Open access resources

Heather P. Westerlund heather.westerlund at mail.waldenu.edu
Wed Feb 15 06:56:22 PST 2017

Bump!
Heather Westerlund
IT Manager
Walden University Library

From: athen-list [mailto:athen-list-bounces at mailman13.u.washington.edu] On Behalf Of Heather P. Westerlund
Sent: Thursday, February 09, 2017 9:28 AM
To: athen-list at u.washington.edu
Subject: [Athen] Open access resources

This sender failed our fraud detection checks and may not be who they appear to be. Learn about spoofing<http://aka.ms/LearnAboutSpoofing>

Feedback<http://aka.ms/SafetyTipsFeedback>

This email came from an external source.

Question about open access resources-- If your institution has a policy that all 3rd party commercial vendors must meet a certain level of web accessibility, how do you (or don't you) apply this to non-commercial, freely available open access (OA) resources?

For example, in our library, we include many OA resources in our list of databases (e.g. Project Gutenberg<http://www.gutenberg.org/wiki/Main_Page>) and we do recommend them when appropriate. Some of these freely available resources likely don't meet a certain level of accessibility (and don't have accessibility statements or VPATs). Most of these resources are not required for course work.

TIA
Heather Westerlund
IT Manager, Library Services
Walden University Library<http://library.waldenu.edu/>

612.312.1270 | heather.westerlund at waldenu.edu<mailto:heather.westerlund at waldenu.edu>
100 Washington Ave S, Ste 900 | Minneapolis, MN 55401