[Athen] Making ESL materials accessible for blind students

Pfau, Jillian Jillian.Pfau at montgomerycollege.edu
Thu Jan 12 11:45:49 PST 2017

Greetings colleagues,
And happy new year to you all! I'm reaching out for some suggestions on how to make ESL textbooks and workbooks accessible with JAWS for a completely blind user. These books contain very little text and are comprised mainly of images that are used to depict scenarios the student must describe in English... similar to any other foreign language textbooks.
There is no audio version of these books, so I am starting from scratch with .pdfs. However, any alt text that I might use for the images would essentially give the student the answer to the questions.
If anyone has any experience with remediating materials like this, I would love to hear your suggestions on how to proceed in making these accessible.
Thanks and best regards,
Jillian
Assistive Technology Coordinator
Disability Support Services