[Athen] Accessible Alternative and Games

Varnado, Jason varnado at gonzaga.edu
Fri Jul 14 11:07:14 PDT 2017

Good morning,
I am being asked to look at two elements on our website and give my opinion, which I am happy to do - but I prefer to seek out expert advice in an effort of due diligence and to ensure my opinion is up-to-date... any thoughts you all have would be very much appreciated!

Our marketing folks post an online newsletter in something like Issue or Flipsnack which makes a fancy, graphic heavy, inaccessible "magazine" that users can "flip" through on the page. However, an accessible PDF download is offered. I am calling this an "accessible alternative" and should therefore be fine, but our marketing folks are still a little concerned (which I am grateful for, since they are thinking about accessibility!).
We have an online advent calendar with each day being a link to new content. Each of these pages has varying degrees of accessibility (being worked on), but one of the days is a game where the school's mascot uses a jetpack to fly through gaps in candy cane walls with points for length of survival (well....that is probably the strangest thing I have typed in a while...). Clearly this is not accessible to an individual who is blind, how would you address this?
Thank you!

JASON VARNADO
Associate Director, Disability Access
Center for Student Academic Success

PHONE (509) 313-4034
FAX (509) 313-5523
www.gonzaga.edu/disabilityaccess<http://www.gonzaga.edu/disabilityaccess>

Center for Student Academic Success - "Empowering Students to become Active and Independent learners in their own academic success."