[Athen] VoiceOver and PDFs

Michael Nakai michaelnakai at weber.edu
Thu Jul 27 14:51:35 PDT 2017

Hello,

I just recently joined this list after hearing about it attending last
week's AHEAD Conference. So I assume that this question has been asked in
the past.

But I was wondering if people have encountered issues with Apple's VoiceOver
treatment of reading order tags that are embedded in a PDF.

To me it seems that it's ignoring the tags and reading order information
that I have embedded in a file of mine.

I've ran it through a few options options and here are my results

Programs that have read this correctly:

Acrobat for Windows Read Out Loud

Foxit Reader for Windows

NVDA reading the same document loaded in Acrobat

Kurzweil 3000 for Windows

Acrobat for iOS in VoiceOver

ClaroPDF for iOS, (Works with VoiceOver, also has a built-in speech reader
that recognizes the read order)

Programs that have not read this correctly:

Previewing this file in macOS, and iOS (Ignored specified reading order)

iBooks in iOS (Ignored specified reading order)

PDF Connoisseur for iOS, (VoiceOver will not read the document)

PDF Expert for iOS (VoiceOver will not read the document)

Programs that have mixed success:

Foxit Reader for iOS (VoiceOver will not read the document, but the app has
a built-in speech reader that recognizes the read order)

So I was just wondering if other institutions have had similar frustrations
in getting an accessible document to be read (if at all) consistently across
different applications and platforms? If so, is there something that I can
use in the PDF creation process to ensure the text flow is observed in
Preview and iBooks?

Michael Nakai

Adaptive Technology

WSU Disability Services