[Athen] FM Listening Devices vs. recording devices for Hard of Hearing

Joshua Hori jhori at ucdavis.edu
Thu Mar 16 18:39:25 PDT 2017

Hello Steve,

Yes, I've seen that here too. I've been handing out less each year, but our interpreters and CART services may be a reason for that. We have a much higher demand for CART services than other accommodation requests.

For some of our users with a more recent hearing lose, and refuse to use ALD's, I have been suggesting the Petralex app. Kind of like a hand held audio magnifier, and they keep improving the audio quality with each update.

For those wanting the smartpen, I've been moving them over to sonocent where I can. Having them highlight areas of concern and using the noise cancellation (to get rid of the static everyone complains about) and gain controls on the desktop app to produce better audio. I see that we can now import transcripts, but I haven't tried it yet. You can also import smartpen audio into it to reduce the palm rubbing against paper that's picked up.

I think other students use technology in others ways to accommodate themselves, and we never hear from them. I was pointed to the AVA app by one of my students. Interesting app, but not sure how well it's working for them since it picks up background speaking sometimes.

Questions are usually saved for office hours. Lectures can be fast and furious with little room for interruption, others may have a class discussion which may occur. We do accommodate the student for office hours and course events, usually with interpreters, at the request of the student.

We realize that students are going to explore their options and test their limits. We just keep reminding them we're available. I've even had units on hand during finals for students to try out after an exam. They'll probably ignore it, but every now and then I'll get a taker.

Best,

Joshua Hori
Accessible Technology Analyst
Student Disability Center