[Athen] correct terminology -- audio description or video description

steve.noble at louisville.edu steve.noble at louisville.edu
Wed May 3 05:51:53 PDT 2017

Hi Jennifer,

The terms are now interchangeable, but the federal government prefers the term "video description" and that is the term typically used by Congress and the FCC. For instance, in 47 CFR 79.3 "Video description of video programming," the definition is given:
"(3) Video description. The insertion of audio narrated descriptions of a television program’s key visual elements into natural pauses between the program’s dialogue." [see https://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/CFR-2011-title47-vol4/pdf/CFR-2011-title47-vol4-sec79-3.pdf]
The federal government's use of the term "video description" dates back to the early 1990s, and perhaps before. You may want to reach out to Barry Cronin for the real scoop, as he was one of the original developers at WGBH. If you need his contact information, just let me know. In the mean time, here's a nice history for you: http://files.eric.ed.gov/fulltext/EJ1114571.pdf

Hope that helps,

--Steve Noble
steve.noble at louisville.edu
502-969-3088