[Athen] Accessible UML Diagramming

Jeffrey Dell jeffreydell99 at gmail.com
Fri May 5 12:20:35 PDT 2017

Hello
I have a student that will be taking a systems analysis class this
fall which requires UML Diagramming. I have found some tools but
haven't quite pieced the whole puzzle together. Has anyone had a
student that needed to use JAWS or NVDA to do UML diagrams lately?
I have found some information about PlantUML where you can code the
diagrams and use the software to generate the graphics. I'm still
looking into this solution but it seems to be on paper the best way
for a screen reader user to create the diagrams. Accessible UML takes
the XMI files generated with Rational Rose and other UML diagramming
programs and make them screen reader accessible. It was developed by
the University of Manchester.
The class is using Visio to create UML diagrams but I am finding no
current information on how to export an XMI file from Visio to be read
by Accessible UML. It is sounding like Visio programs need to be
taken into Visual Studio to export the XMI.
Any thoughts?
Best regards,
Jeff Dell
Cleveland State