[Athen] Classroom tech accessibility

Kurkjian, Nazely Nazely.Kurkjian at suny.edu
Tue May 16 09:11:22 PDT 2017

Hi all,

In my observation of campus IT accessibility policies and websites, there's little to no mention of classroom accessibility. It might be assumed within the procurement sections but I'm specifically inquiring about the technology-related codes (e.g., assistive listening systems, p.77) outlined in the 2010 ADA standards for accessible design<https://www.ada.gov/regs2010/2010ADAStandards/2010ADAStandards.pdf>. Do you have any resources summarizing & outlining ADA and accessibility considerations for classroom design? Is there a bulleted list of technology-related codes?

Further, although much of the guidelines are physical, construction/physical facilities folks don't necessarily procure/install tech for classrooms. These are typically done by IT/academic technologists. Who on your campus purchases classroom technology? Who is responsible for ensuring compliance? Is it a collaborative effort?

Thank you,
Nazely

[circle]<http://www.suny.edu/>

Nazely Kurkjian (she, her, hers)
Coordinator of Disability, Diversity, and Nontraditional Student Services
The State University of New York
State University Plaza - Albany, New York 12246
Tel: 518.445.4078 Fax: 518.320.1557
Be a part of Generation SUNY: Facebook<http://www.facebook.com/generationsuny> - Twitter<http://www.twitter.com/SUNY> - YouTube<http://www.youtube.com/generationsuny>