[Athen] Institutions Accessibility Plans

Sheryl E. Burgstahler sherylb at uw.edu
Wed Nov 29 19:56:33 PST 2017

IT accessibility is about the purchase, development and deployment of IT so leadership should be in the central IT department. Disability services offices along with many other campus units (e.g., risk management, online learning, teaching and learning centers, student services…) should be engaged in the campus-wide efforts as well. We do this in several ways at the University of Washington. I co-direct an IT Accessibility Task Force that includes representatives from multiple units across the UW, including branch campuses. We also engage about 100 IT Accessibility Liaisons from many units on campus to help promote the development, procurement and use of accessible IT in their areas of influence. We provide training to these folks and others campus-wide (e.g., at the web developers monthly meetings, at the online instructors sig). Sometimes training is co-sponsored by a relevant campus unit.

The biggest distinction we make about the provision of accessible IT campus wide between our disability services offices (we have one for students and one for faculty/staff/visitors) and our Accessible Technology Services is that disability service units provide accommodations for individuals with disabilities who use them, and this might include remediating PDFs, captioning videos, etc., for specific individuals. We work proactively to make IT accessible, usable, and inclusive campus-wide. We, for example, offer limited free captioning of high-impact academic and administrative videos; disability services steps in and captions videos when there is a need for a accommodation for a specific person. We work to reduce the number of inaccessible PDFs on campus; disability services remediates inaccessible PDFs for which specific individuals with disabilities need access.

Sheryl Burgstahler, Ph.D.
Director, UW Accessible Technology & DO-IT, UW-IT
Affiliate Professor, Education
University of Washington, Box 354842
Seattle, WA 98195
206-543-0622 FAX 206-221-4171