[Athen] question on supporting faculty to make online courses digitally accessible

Sheryl E. Burgstahler sherylb at uw.edu
Fri Oct 20 13:34:32 PDT 2017

1. In general training is not required at the University of Washington; our IT and teaching environment is distributed and such decisions are made locally. We provide optional training on accessible online learning through our group, Accessible Technology Services (ATS); we have delivered training to groups that include a special interest group for online developers/instructors; we work directly with leaders in our central unit that delivers a lot of programs offered online. In addition we have outreach/training on specific topics like web accessibility, document accessibility, and captioning videos. We also provide guidance on our website uw.edu/accessibility and through several discussion lists.

2. Canvas is our standard LMS. Those who teach courses about how to use Canvas as part of our central IT training unit have limited knowledge about accessibility and point participants to ATS for support.

Sheryl Burgstahler, Ph.D.
Director, UW Accessible Technology & DO-IT, UW-IT
Affiliate Professor, Education
University of Washington, Box 354842
Seattle, WA 98195
206-543-0622 FAX 206-221-4171