[Athen] Guide to Writing Alt Text

Karlen Communications info at karlencommunications.com
Mon Apr 2 11:11:15 PDT 2018

This isn’t available any more on the CSUN website, but it is something that I use in workshops to get people started thinking about how to describe images. I caution participants that ideally their images will relate to content unlike the artwork descriptions in this project. However, it is a good start toward thinking about Alt text.

I also caution them that Alt Text should not be 300 words! It should be short and concise.

Here is how I use the attached document in a workshop:

1. I have pages from a small calendar, the ones that are about 6X6 inches – not the really large ones.
2. I divide the participants into groups and give them one picture from the calendar. I find the classic artists like Monet really good for this. Don’t choose seasonal pictures or anything too abstract.
3. The pictures are also chosen from an angle where they can’t see what picture they or other groups are choosing.
4. I given them 20-30 minutes to write down their descriptions of the images. None of the other groups see the picture until the end.
5. At the end of time, I ask each group to read their description without revealing their picture. I then give the rest of the participants a minute to get the image into their minds.
6. I then ask the group who has just presented to reveal their picture so we can se if the picture is representative of the description.

We then discuss for a minute or two what might be missing, what would have helped with understanding the picture if anything.

The guidelines for this project are for art and are designed to be objective to not suggest something that is a form of bias or supposition. This creates great discussion about what is important, how to describe something without adding your personal bias…I find it is a great exercise and something not computer based for the topic of accessible document design.

The document is linked to from the Karlen Communications website. It is called “A Picture is Worth 300 Words” in case it doesn’t manage to travel with this post.

Cheers, Karen