[Athen] Tableau visualizations

Kathleen Cahill kcahill at mit.edu
Fri Apr 13 05:59:22 PDT 2018

Hi Colleagues,

I said that I would post my findings on Tableau data visualizations and accessibility once our staff met with one of our IT Staff who works on Tableau. Some of the details are code-related but here is his feedback below, prefaced by my comments. I think what we’re realizing is that it’s important to include descriptions of what the visualizations are representing, that is, to include text that describes trends that the data visualizations are showing since a screen reader user will not be able to intuit the graphs or visualizations via screen reader.

Info from our Tableau programmer:

I read through the Accessibility guide for Tableau:
https://onlinehelp.tableau.com/current/pro/desktop/en-us/accessibility_create_view.html

I learned several things:
1. Dashboards that contain less than 1000 “marks” or dashboards created with ?render=true are client-side rendered. Those are supposed to be WCAG-conformant, versus server side-rendered dashboards. Therefore, I suggest you tell IR to put ?render=true on the urls they are using for their visualizations.
2. Tableau has a set of keyboard controls. They are described here:https://onlinehelp.tableau.com/current/pro/desktop/en-us/access_keyboard_navigation.html.
I suggest web accessibility staff read them and tell us if they make any sense to them. If so, you may want to have that link put in as accessible help.
3. According to Tableau:
"The view toolbar is not currently supported for conformance, so you need to hide it in the embedded view. To hide the view toolbar, set the toolbar parameter in the embed code to no. For example:
<param name='toolbar' value='no' />"
4. They have a color blindness palette. Customer might want to use it.
5. Other than these recommendations, their basic advice is to make dashboards simpler, clearer, with more aggregation, more explanation text and clearer options. In other words, basic usability.

In conclusion, I saw no magic bullet but we should test if anything changes when IR uses “?render=true” in their URLs and we might want to test the keyboard controls.

I hope this helps,
Kathy

Kathy Cahill
Associate Dean, Accessibility and Usability
MIT Office of the Vice Chancellor
77 Mass. Ave. 7-143
Cambridge MA 02139
kcahill at mit.edu<mailto:kcahill at mit.edu>