[Athen] Schools with Accessibility Standards and Faculty Pages

Berger, Eileen eileen_berger at gse.harvard.edu
Wed Apr 18 05:43:33 PDT 2018

Hi All,
I have a question about use of laptops in courses. Automaticity allows some students with cognitive differences, those with RSI, vision impairments, Hearing imp. Reading CART and etc. to take notes, stay tuned into classes, view PowerPOints and projected materials up close or enlarged etc. How do we influence our faculty to reconsider rigid no laptop in class policies? They seem to be influenced by several articles and some limited research about how notetaking on laptops diminishes learning and long term memory.
Have you encountered this and how did you deal with it?
Thanks for any info!
Eileen

Eileen Connell Berger
Access and Disability Services Administrator
Assistant Director Office of Student Affairs
Harvard Graduate School of Education