[Athen] My role in advocating for the accessibility of PDF documents

Karlen Communications info at karlencommunications.com
Mon Aug 20 03:02:55 PDT 2018

Everyone:

Having given it much thought and discussion with my friends and family, I am
leaving the work that I've done advocating and supporting the accessibility
of PDF documents for the past 18 years.

I do not believe in the direction that the standards have gone. I can't even
tell you when we, as a committee changed the focus from accessibility and
usability of PDF documents to "equal access to crappy content."

As someone who has been one of the few people with disabilities visibly
supporting and defending PDF and PDF/UA as having the potential for being an
accessible format, it feels as if I am leaving my life's work.

However, I can no longer have a positive role in advancing PDF accessibility
through the ISO committees and it is time for me to admit that.

I have posted my letter of resignation to the ISO PDF committees on my
website.

Cheers, Karen