[Athen] Natural Voices

Joseph Polizzotto jpolizzotto at berkeley.edu
Thu Aug 23 09:35:19 PDT 2018

Hi Lorraine:

In our opinion the Nuance Vocalizer voices are the best in class. If she
has an iOS (Apple) mobile device or a macbook, she gets these voices for
free.

Some of the voices we would recommend from Nuance are the following

Ava (US)
Allison (US)
Tom (US)
Zoe (US)
Nathan (US)

Some students mention liking the British accented voices, and this nuance
may make a difference for your student's needs as well. Again, from Nuance:

Daniel (UK)
Malcom (UK)
Serena (UK)
Oliver (UK)

You can try out all of these voices by going to this website:

http://codefactoryglobal.com/speech-technology/

Once you find the voice you want, I too would recommend using VoiceDream.
You get one high quality voice for free and you can play back and bookmark
audio files from this app.

HTH,

Joseph

On Thu, Aug 23, 2018 at 9:00 AM Norwich, Lorraine S <lnorwich at bu.edu> wrote:

> Dear All,

> I am working with a student who has sleep apnea and finds reading and

> listening to monotone voices on a computer triggers her sleep. She wants

> to try text to speech to keep herself awake. She finds some of the voices

> very monotonous and difficult to follow. Has anyone found any voices that

> sound less synthesized and sound more natural that would be helpful for

> this student.

> thanks

> Lorraine

> Lorraine S. Norwich, BSME, MSIS

> Assistant Director of Disability Services

> Boston University

> 19 Deerfield Street, 2nd Floor

> Boston, MA 02215

> lnorwich at bu.edu (email)

> 617-353-3658 (vox)

> 617-353-9646 (fax)

> www.bu.edu/disability (website)

*Alternate Media Supervisor*
Disabled Students' Program
University of California, Berkeley
https://dsp.berkeley.edu/
<https://nam02.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fdsp.berkeley.edu%2F&data=02%7C01%7C%7C4e0abffcb5b34567a22308d5e13137b3%7C84df9e7fe9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa%7C1%7C0%7C636662523854357148&sdata=yB5%2BUm2W6TBwpc%2BOF4DvN8wPoo1dozUwz8eCepYhTyY%3D&reserved=0>
(510) 642-0329