[Athen] Natural Voices

Wink Harner foreigntype at gmail.com
Thu Aug 23 09:37:32 PDT 2018

Lorraine et al ATHEN-ites,

When first trying out text to speech voices with students, I will have
asked them a number of leading questions about what type of voice they like
listening to: male or female, any particular regional American accent, a
British (or other country) voice, fast or slow tempo, high, medium or low
pitch. I will do some research with the principle TTS software providers
and pick out 5 or 6 voices to try out with student directly --I want to
watch their face as they listen to the different voice(s). Knitting their
eyebrows, narrowing their eyes, or eyebrows up, head cocked a little to the
side? The body language will indicate which voices are annoying and which
are more pleasant or acceptable. If the student picks one or two to try out
for a few days and comes back with another "I can't listen to this," I'll
provide them the links for the SAPI voices so they can try them out
themselves. I will encourage them to pick from the free ones, of course,
but helping them walk through the testing out part will help them, in the
long run, find the right voice for their needs.

Hope this helps.
Wink Harner
Accessibility Consultant/Alternative Text Production
The Foreign Type

Portland OR
foreigntype at gmail.com
480-984-0034

This email was dictated using Dragon NaturallySpeaking. Please forgive
quirks, misrecognitions, or errata .