[Athen] ATHEN – Microsoft Meeting Notes- February

Anita Mortaloni anitase at microsoft.com
Thu Feb 8 08:44:37 PST 2018

Hi ATHEN,

Thank you to everyone who was able to call into the ATHEN meeting this week and meeting some new people. Next meeting we will have a discussion on deployment blockers, problems and issues with upgrading to the latest O365 for people using AT or working with people using AT. We will also share the status of ATHEN bugs/features filed through eDAD.
Thank you!
Anita Mortaloni

ATHEN – Microsoft Meeting Notes – February Meeting
Meeting Notes

* Introduction of eDAD – Enterprise Disability Answer Desk<https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/accessibility/enterprise-answer-desk>.
* Moving forward any in-market bugs or feature requests will go through eDAD, Enterprise Disability Answer Desk<https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/accessibility/enterprise-answer-desk>. This will decrease turnaround time as well as provide greater visibility across Microsoft to the contribution of the ATHEN group.
* What is eDAD? The enterprise Disability Answer Desk is a support resource for organizations that have questions about the accessibility of Microsoft products and product compliance. The support team can help resolve issues relating to a disability and the functionality of the products to be used with assistive technology, as well as find conformance documentation.
* How does it work? For any in-product bugs or feature requests, email eDAD at microsoft.com<mailto:eDAD at microsoft.com>. eDAD will work with the product teams and Anita to get more information and provide a resolution (e.g. workaround, details on why behavior exists, fix, etc.). Prior to closing the bug, ATHEN contact will be
* What information do I need to include in the email to eDAD at microsoft.com<mailto:eDAD at microsoft.com>? Include [ATHEN] in the subject, actual behavior you are seeing, expected behavior, repro steps of the issues, version numbers of product/platform and any impact info you have
* Does this cost anything? No, this is a free resource for enterprises
* What about providing feedback on new features or early designs? These bugs/feedback will go directly to the program manager that is presenting the new feature or area of feedback since these aren’t in market yet.
* How does this increase visibility and impact? Weekly reports (Microsoft internal) are shared with the bugs/features filed through eDAD. ATHEN reported bugs/features will now have visibility across the company. In addition, because eDAD gets feedback from multiple sources they can add ATHEN feedback to their data and help spot larger trends across multiple customers.
* Bug updates
* Win10 bugs. Almost 20 bugs were filed by the ATHEN group. We discussed several of these, and Erin Williams from eDAD will be following up with HADI to get more information and details on several of these bugs.
* Office bugs – 3 fixed, 5 won’t fix
* The following bugs have been resolved as fixed. Once verification occurs from ATHEN we will close.
* [ATHEN] User cannot distinguish between single message and conversation. State of the thread is not announced. If the user is on the conversation and left arrow, it collapses the header.
* [ATHEN] NVDA is overly verbose in Calendar: "After receiving an appointment invite and opening it, NVDA went on to read text for about 7.5 minutes. Trying to create an appointment had NVDA read out a long list of editable fields however the user is only able to edit four of those fields read out."
* [ATHEN] Calendar color 3x3 grid not accessible. "In Outlook calendar options, user can set default calendar colors to be between 9 different options. There are no labels for the 9 buttons and reads '1 of 9.'" Strings for each of the colors in the color picker.
* The following bugs will not be fixed. Please respond back if you have additional feedback on the impact of not fixing these issues.
* [ATHEN] Insufficient Action Response - No affordance to set sounds for many events. "User can currently set Window Sounds for successfully sending emails. But other Instances to consider: Saving a draft, adding/removing attachments (and upon finish downloading of attachment), adding a signature, selecting invitee from contacts into "To Input" field (currently can only be confirmed using braille), selecting all attachments using context menu, alerting user regarding messages information e.g. 'You are not responding to the latest message in this conversation. Click here to open it.' Follow up flags were not presented in any way."
* Notes: Now that Office Sounds has shipped, it's one more tool we can use to make scenarios more usable. This is a feature ask which we will approach as we work through enhancing the usability of core scenarios.
* [ATHEN] NVDA - Calendar date picker doesn't read dates. "New calendar invite date picker button does not read dates. To get there, start a new meeting in Calendar and tab after the date and press Space to activate. "
* Notes: Could not get a repro in house. We did see a delayed reaction from Narrator, and that looks like a repro on this bug, but it's really not. Narrator just hasn't caught up to where the focus is. Once Narrator catches up, it works fine.
* [ATHEN] No audible status announcements as the email was setting up. "NVDA only intermittently announced "Unavailable" but did not read text in the popup window until clicked on which would not be possible for visually impaired users. The progress bar can not be read. During encryption process, the dialog content is not explorable using Caps + W which worked for other dialogs in Narrator. Same issue when importing contacts, FT #20. Modern screen readers interprets the download screen as empty/blank. "
* Notes: Could not get a repro in house and had NVDA announcing as "Unavailable we are getting things ready". If ATHEN can get a repro on this we will reopen the bug.
* [ATHEN] Not easily able to enter the right pane to add alt-text. "In editing a picture to add its alternative text, user can right-click Format Picture to open the left sidebar. Narrator is slow to track focus to the form within the newly opened sidebar; during testing, user was unable to test Format Picture form due to Narrator focus being left on the inserted image rather than the forms. Not able to access the right sidebar to add alt text.
* Notes: This will not be fixed because it isn’t how the rest of the task panes in Office work. We are striving for consistency across the suite.
* [ATHEN] Unexpected keyboard navigation in Account Settings. "In Account Settings, focus does not cycle from last element to first element. Follow up flags were not presented in any way.”
* Notes: This will not be fixed because it is how all similar tab controls work. The tab loop works fine in the dialog, when in the tab set, arrows work fine to move left and right (they just don't loop back around when you hit the end).