[Athen] Developing and reading Accessible UML and ER diagrams

Jeffrey Dell jeffreydell99 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 9 05:18:26 PST 2018

There is a tool that will read properly formatted UML diagrams but it
is not being updated anymore from my understanding. It will only read
specific UML diagram formats.
http://accessible-uml.software.informer.com/
The most reasonable solution that I came across while looking into it
for a student is PlantUML. It can be used either stand alone or with
Eclipse. The diagrams are done solely by scripting. The scripting
language is pretty easy to understand as well.
http://plantuml.com/
Any visual diagrams for the student that we worked with were done as
tactile diagrams. Since UML is intended to provide a digestible
visual representation of the flow of a program it is important for
students to understand how the diagram is presented visually to enable
them to communicate with peers.
Good luck,
Jeff