[Athen] ePubs need Adobe Digital Editions PLUS Jaws to read?

chagnon at pubcom.com chagnon at pubcom.com
Mon Jul 9 09:01:05 PDT 2018

Adobe Digital Editions is a proprietary eBook format (not EPUB) that does
indeed require software or plug-ins in order to access the file.

Since its proprietary rather than open source, we generally stay away from
it. Plus, Adobe charges a small fortune to developers to create and publish
titles in Adobe Digital Editions.

And it's not EPUB, the universal open source ebook reader file format that
pretty much anyone can open on any device.

Adobe's website does say it is now accessible. See
https://www.adobe.com/solutions/ebook/digital-editions.html

- - -

Bevi Chagnon, founder/CEO | <mailto:Bevi at PubCom.com> Bevi at PubCom.com

- - -

PubCom: Technologists for Accessible Design + Publishing

consulting . training . development . design . sec. 508 services

Upcoming classes at www.PubCom.com/classes

- - -