[Athen] Screen Reader/Browser Combination

Rachel Comerford rachel.comerford at macmillan.com
Thu Jul 19 12:21:40 PDT 2018

We struggled with this as well so we consulted with a third party and then
checked our overall usage and came up with these as out testing pairs:

*Testing Pairs:*

- Internet Explorer 11 with JAWS and NVDA (latest public releases)
- Firefox (52/ESR) with JAWS and NVDA (latest public releases)
- Chrome (latest release) with JAWS and NVDA (latest public releases)
- Safari (latest public release) with VoiceOver (latest public release)
- Mac/PC - Kruzweil 3000
- Mac/PC - Read and Write Gold

I've heard that Chrome Canary is a little bit better when it comes to speed
issues but largely when we talk to AT users, they tell us that Chrome is a
frustrating experience and they don't use it.

The most recent Firefox release had had some pretty significant issues with
JAWS and so we skipped testing against it since the users we spoke to had
uninstalled the update. Now that they implemented some fixes, we plan to go
back to our users and re-check.

We're considering adding Navigator/Edge although our consultant is telling
us that Microsoft still has a ways to go there and they aren't seeing a lot
of usage. I'd be interested in knowing if others have had different
experiences?

Rachel Comerford | Senior Director of Content Standards and Accessibility |
T 212.576.9433

*Macmillan Learning*

Message: 16