[Athen] How we stopped making excuses and started improving Basecamp’s accessibility

Jennifer Sutton jsuttondc at gmail.com
Mon Mar 19 18:21:03 PDT 2018

    ATHENites and others:

I thought I'd share the following post in case you/students need to work
with Basecamp or know others that do.

I try to refrain from commentary when I post to this list, but I can't
help but say: "It's about danged time!!"

I've definitely been impacted in employment settings by all of these
excuses, going back many years. Why my employers weren't more demanding
since their focus was on accessibility . . . well, we'll skip that, but
suffice to say, they're former employers. And "something, something" re.
eating one's own dog food.

I do know that bugs have been filed by folks, over the years, though
clearly that didn't work.

Hope they move quickly, and I sure as heck hope they get real people
with disabilities to test, instead of relying on one person just playing
around with VO. Yes, you gotta start somewhere, but I'm not sure this is
how to start, much less to understand where fundamental blockages are.

I also find it interesting that I don't hear of many/anyone using these
products much any more; it may be too little too late, but let's hope not.

Now, I'll go back to keeping my opinions to myself; we all have too much
work to do.

Jennifer

[who is tired of feeling like she has to be grateful for crumbs because
crumbs do not scale!!]

How we stopped making excuses and started improving Basecamp’s accessibility
https://m.signalvnoise.com/how-we-stopped-making-excuses-and-started-improving-basecamps-accessibility-5f45eb246aa3