[Athen] Mac: Speech-to-text and non-manual mouse control

Dan Comden danc at uw.edu
Wed May 2 09:11:31 PDT 2018

It will be a difficult conversation if this person is a serious Mac user
but ... he needs to switch to Windows. I have gone through this with a
couple of students over the years -- they fight and fight with the Mac
product and either grudgingly switch to Windows or give up. Nuance's speech
product for MacOS isn't nearly as polished and capable as
NaturuallySpeaking in Windows. I have poked around the edges of VoiceCode
but it's a risky bet. If there's a way to give it a trial test, that'd be
the way to go but last I checked, that was not an option.

As Wink noted, the Windows-based solution of MathTalk + NaturallySpeaking
in Windows is the way to go for spoken math.

-*- Dan

On Wed, May 2, 2018 at 7:04 AM, Heidi Scher <hascherdss at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all,

> Since I'm not at all a Mac user, I'm reaching out to beg for you to share

> some of your collective knowledge. Have a student whose is losing

> manual dexterity. He is working on dual doctoral degrees (physics &

> mathematics). As such, he works a lot with LaTeX and some other coding

> software. He has been using Dragon, but is finding it cumbersome.

> He has investigated VoiceCode software which works along with Dragon as

> well as the SmartNav software and hardware.

> If anyone has used these, would you share your experience? Are there other

> suggestions we should investigate?

> TIA!

> Heidi

> +++++++++++++++

> Heidi Scher, M.S., CRC

> Associate Director

> Center for Educational Access

> University of Arkansas

> ARKU 209

> Fayetteville, AR 72701

> 479.575.3104

> 479.575.7445 fax

> 479.575.3646 tdd

-*- Dan Comden danc at uw.edu <danc at washington.edu>
Access Technology Center www.uw.edu/itconnect/accessibility/atl/
University of Washington UW Information Technology