[Athen] question on accessible windows application to read epub

chagnon at pubcom.com chagnon at pubcom.com
Wed May 30 04:22:19 PDT 2018

Yes, Adobe retooled the DPS technology in 2015 and rolled it into their
"Experience Manager" suite of tools.

It's kind of a hybrid type of technology that has proprietary features, is
finicky to produce, and costs the publisher $50,000 and up per year for a
license, so it is priced out of the range of all but the largest publishers.

A close colleague who used to work for a major household name publisher said
that each monthly edition of their publication cost the firm $250,000 in
labor costs alone, and that Adobe's engineers worked on some of the coding
for free so that they could showcase the publication on their website.

That has to tell you something about the technology!

Better publishing technologies are out there.

See this website for a decent review. Note, however, that accessibility
isn't mentioned. https://www.readz.com/digital-publishing-platforms-tools

— — —
Bevi Chagnon, founder/CEO | Bevi at PubCom.com
— — —
PubCom: Technologists for Accessible Design + Publishing
consulting • training • development • design • sec. 508 services
Upcoming classes at www.PubCom.com/classes
— — —