[Athen] Aegir Smartpen

Shelley Haven ShelleyHaven at techpotential.net
Mon Nov 12 21:22:13 PST 2018

Hi, Bryon!

Though I don’t yet have hands-on experience with Livescribe’s new Aegir smartpen models, I am familiar with how they work and how they differ from the Echo and Livescribe 3 models.

Other than the obvious physical differences (the Aegirs are thinner, lighter, and more colorful), the Aegirs operates conceptually like the Livescribe 3 model. Whereas the Echo records audio with its built-in microphone and stores both recorded audio and notes on the pen, both the Livescribe 3 and Aegir have no microphone — both must link via Bluetooth to a mobile device (iOS or Android) and use its mic to record audio.

Both the Livescribe 3 and Aegir also stream their captured notes in real time to the Livescribe+ app on the linked mobile device; with the Echo, notes and audio are uploaded later to the Echo Desktop software on either a Mac or Windows PC.

One place where the Aegir will surpass the Livescribe 3 is that Livescribe will soon release a desktop version of the Livescribe+ app. From Livescribe+, handwritten notes can be separated into “snippets” (individual notes) and even converted to e-text (assuming decent penmanship). Individual snippets or an entire page or notebook can be exported to OneNote, Evernote, or other apps.

Lastly, all three models still need the Livescribe microdot paper to work.

Here’s a comparison chart for all three smartpens:
https://livescribe.helpscoutdocs.com/article/1929-30015-smartpen-comparison-chart <https://livescribe.helpscoutdocs.com/article/1929-30015-smartpen-comparison-chart>

Hope this helps,
Shelley

Shelley Haven ATP, RET