[Athen] MS Word cross-references, citations, captions, index marks... oh my!

Christine Robinson crobinson at ggc.edu
Wed Nov 21 10:00:09 PST 2018

Hi all -

I've been learning about some of the features of MS Word which aren't normally used, but which can be helpful when creating long documents like policy manuals. Most of these tools are in the References tab of Word:

* Cross-references can help readers easily navigate to other parts of a long document. For example, if a manual says "See Section 3.13 for more information," you can make that text into a clickable cross-reference. The reader clicks that phrase, and is taken to Section 3.13 instead of having to search for the section.

Question: is this an accessible feature, or does it create problems for screen reader users?

* Citations & bibliography: It's possible to insert citations in a way that follows style guides (you can choose APA, Chicago, IEEE, etc.). It creates the citation as a field, and - similar to Word Styles and Tables of Contents, the citations can be used to automatically create a Bibliography.

Question: Are the formatted citations and bibliographies accessible?

* Captions & Tables of Figures: If you have a non-text object like an image or table, you can right-click it and add a caption. In the References tab, you also then have the option of creating a Table of Figures or Table of Tables. However, when I click on a caption, it LOOKS to me like the caption is in a text box, and I understand text boxes aren't accessible. But it may just LOOK like a text box to me, but is formatted differently in the background.

Question: Are these formatted captions and Tables of Figures/Tables accessible?

* Marking for indexing: Same kind of thing. You can mark particular terms and from that formatting, create an index.

Summary question: Can anybody point me to a reference which addresses accessibility of infrequently-used features like these? I have Karen McCall's excellent book, Styles in Word, but I don't see references to these types of seldom-used features.

Thanks!

Chris

Christine Robinson | Technical Trainer/Writer | Center for Teaching Excellence
Georgia Gwinnett College | 1000 University Center Lane| Lawrenceville, GA 30043