[Athen] Complex images, alternative text, and WCAG 2.0 (AA)

Iza Bartosiewicz iza.bartosiewicz at rmit.edu.au
Thu Sep 20 16:36:09 PDT 2018

Hi Mark,
I can recommend these articles by Dey Alexander, 4 Syllables:

Long descriptions for images – part 1
<https://4syllables.com.au/articles/long-descriptions/>
In this article, we look at the role of long descriptions for images, why
you need them, and how to implement them.

Long descriptions for images – part 2
<http://4syllables.com.au/articles/long-descriptions-2/>
Long descriptions are text alternatives for complex or detailed images. In
this article we look at how to write them by considering some examples that
include charts and graphs, maps and plans, infographics, diagrams and
technical drawings.

Writing text alternatives for maps
<http://4syllables.com.au/articles/text-alternatives-maps/>
When you use images of maps on your website you need to provide text
alternatives. Text alternatives help people access your content when they
cannot see or use images. This article discusses how to write text
alternatives for simple and more complex maps and provides some examples.

cheers
Iza

*Iza Bartosiewicz | Web Coordinator*
Internet Services, Library and Student Success

Building 94, 23 Cardigan Street
Carlton VIC 3053
Tel. +61 3 9925 3103
iza.bartosiewicz at rmit.edu.au
www.rmit.edu.au/ <http://www1.rmit.edu.au/library>
@Mr0wka18 <http://twitter.com/Mr0wka18>
www.linkedin.com/in/izabartosiewicz

*RMIT University acknowledges the people of the Woi wurrung and Boon
wurrung language groups of the eastern Kulin Nations on whose unceded lands
we conduct the business of the University. RMIT University respectfully
acknowledges their Ancestors and Elders, past and present.*

*RMIT also acknowledges the Traditional Custodians and their Ancestors of
the lands and waters across Australia where we conduct our business.*

Message: 4