[Athen] Zoom Text for Mac discontinued

Sean Keegan skeegan at ccctechcenter.org
Fri Sep 28 08:48:15 PDT 2018

I found that the macOS Zoom along with a Retina display did a pretty good
job of magnification for students. While there was not all the additional
features and capabilities of the ZoomText product, using the macOS Zoom as
well as modifying some of the native speech settings (e.g., Speak items
under pointer, Enable announcements, etc.) resulted in a generally usable
solution.

I also found it helpful for students to enable the Full Keyboard Access
option so that using the Tab key moved you to all controls (System
Preferences > Keyboard > Shortcuts). This is typically set to Text boxes
and Lists by default and is problematic when new users are trying to
navigate via the Tab key.

The only major issue I found was with text smoothing at higher
magnifications was not so great with the macOS solution...although I recall
it was only marginally better with the ZoomText version.

I don't believe there are any other viable magnification options for macOS
at this time.

Take care,
Sean