[Athen] Electronic exam storage solutions

Sorensen, Neal B neal.sorensen at mnsu.edu
Thu Apr 4 12:29:48 PDT 2019

Hi Russell,
My office/testing center doesn't store exams outside of our shared e-mail for exam accommodations. Our approach is not very modern, but I believe it is secure as any enterprise e-mail server can be. We are looking at AIM currently, so that would change some of our practices and allow for a different method of electronic delivery.

As far as Google Drive and OneDrive go, they are only as secure as the account they are linked to. I keep Alternate Formats on OneDrive, and create a separate folder to deliver textbooks (because the state-run secure file delivery system I was given is unpredictable and often students can't access their files). With electronic exams, we store them on a USB flashdrive when a computer is required (for Kurzweil or a screen reader usually), and I format the drive after each use. If I need to store an exam for any reason I keep the file on my workstation computer and e-mail to the professor.

With the perceived security of data on "the cloud" I am not so sure it's a better solution than an institution's networked storage. If your Microsoft or Google accounts were compromised (both companies are susceptible to phishing or worse attacks, even with 2FA), a motivated ne'er-do-well could potentially obtain the exams. It would be much more difficult to get them from the networked storage run by your IT department.

Now for your final question: OneDrive allows you to share the folder and choose who has permission to edit (which includes deletion of files). I think that will also limit who can upload and change files, but they should be able to view and download files. Hope all of this helps.

Neal Sorensen
Accessibility Resources
Minnesota State University, Mankato
132 Memorial Library
Mankato, MN 56001

Phone: (507) 389-2825
Fax: (507) 389-1199
www.mnsu.edu/access<https://na01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.msu.edu%2Faccess&data=02%7C01%7C%7Cba2bdaa7245d4dbf6b4f08d6286bcd9e%7C0c0d13782eaf49c7afa98b40189a1b5c%7C0%7C0%7C636740842030986844&sdata=AKXk%2BXNs%2Fs2BwNLXm8mwiHpZemF42NBdTnO6OwNGxgw%3D&reserved=0>

[cid:image004.png at 01CF4281.A3698650]

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This e-mail message, including any attachments, is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you have received this transmission in error, please delete it from your system without copying it, and notify the sender by reply email so that our address record can be corrected.