[Athen] ARIA attributes

Bossley, Peter A. bossley.5 at osu.edu
Tue Apr 23 13:20:38 PDT 2019

Alex is basically exactly correct.
ARIA that is made up will have no impact on accessibility whatsoever. ARIA roles that aren’t implemented properly will usually create more problems than it solves.
I would extend the technical description a tad; the browser reads the DOM (code of the web page,) and presents the browser’s interpretation of the DOM to the Accessibility API of the operating system. Screen readers, by and large anyway, read the accessibility API and interpret that output. So, in short, the website must implement the specification properly, and both the browser and assistive technology in question must support and implement the specification. If any of these things are not true, it can lead to problems.
For example, it is possible, and often does occur, that there is a lag between roles being part of the specification, or proposed for inclusion, and when those roles, states, and values are supported by the browser and screen readers in question. Older browsers or screen readers may not, and often times do not, fully work with the latest version of ARIA. This is why ARIA should not be used as a first-line solution to accessibility problems; and especially not ARIA that is simply proposed or newly included ARIA.
As an aside, this is also why pushing the browsers and assistive technology vendors to stick strictly to the specification is so important. It is challenging enough to ensure accessibility in this space, but all the more if browsers and assistive technologies don’t uniformly implement the specification.