[Athen] Strikethrough formatting in MS Word and PDF?

joe at a11yeval.com joe at a11yeval.com
Fri Jan 11 08:52:28 PST 2019

Sean,

To my knowledge. Screen readers would only support this if they go into “Font description” mode (JAWS: https://doccenter.freedomscientific.com/doccenter/doccenter/rs25c51746a0cc/2012-06-20_TextFormatting/02_TextFormatting.htm, NVDA: https://www.nvaccess.org/files/nvda/documentation/userGuide.html#DocumentFormattingSettings, VoiceOver: https://www.apple.com/voiceover/info/guide/_1128.html#mchlp2720) But from my conversations with power users, they only use this if they really need to (explicitly told critical information is conveyed through visual formatting or editing a document).

You would have to implement a solution like Adrian’s physically adding the text to the page or you could use 1px by 1px “spacer” images with the appropriate alternative text.

I’m asking colleagues for other methods.

Thankx.

Joe Humbert