[Athen] reading options and Surface

tristenbreitenfeldt at gmail.com tristenbreitenfeldt at gmail.com
Fri Jan 11 12:25:53 PST 2019

Hi Robert,

I, personally love Surface devices. There are a couple of free options for
people who want/need to have text to speech capabilities. Since I don't
know if the student is using Windows S mode or a full Windows 10
installation, I will break down the two options according to the
configurations they apply to.

1. If running S mode, this means that only Windows utilities and
applications from the Windows app store can be installed/run. So, their best
bet is using Windows Narrator. Narrator is a full screen reader, which comes
with the Windows OS. The most recent version of Narrator in Windows 1809
also has a handy getting started tutorial, which launches the first time you
start Narrator. To start Narrator, either turn it on in the Ease of Access
settings or simply press Ctrl+WindowsKey+Enter.
2. If the student has turned off S mode on the Surface, they are
probably running a full version of Windows 10. This means they can install
third party software in addition to Windows store apps. So, NVDA, a free,
open-source screen reader can be installed. Or, they can use Narrator here
too if they prefer.

Tristen Breitenfeldt