[Athen] JAWS inspect

Dan Comden danc at uw.edu
Thu Jan 31 10:29:26 PST 2019

Just based on the video that Doug linked and the bit of text on that page,
I would say this tool has limited use for evaluating true accessibility of
a web page or web-based application. There is much more to accessibility
than assuring "JAWS accessibility" and we need to keep reminding designers
and developers that screenreaders are not the only AT that is in use, nor
do they define what accessibility means for web-delivered materials.

Just this week we met with a software company and part of their design/dev
team and one of the key devs was quite familiar with NVDA. That was really
nice to see, but they were still missing some important visual
accessibility issues as well as overall functional accessibility/usability
with their product. Using and knowing screen readers only catches some of
the issue. They are key issues, but far from a complete accessibility
picture.

-*- Dan

On Thu, Jan 31, 2019 at 9:34 AM Khoa Pham <kpham at swccd.edu> wrote:

> Hello everyone,

> Has anyone ever heard of *JAWS inspect* or currently using it? I wanted

> to get some input on this tool by someone who have used it to evaluate Web

> contents, Web apps, and other contents.

> Thanks,

> Khoa

-*- Dan Comden danc at uw.edu <danc at washington.edu>
Access Technology Center www.uw.edu/itconnect/accessibility/atl/
University of Washington UW Information Technology