[Athen] Voice recognition on Macs

Kathleen Cahill kcahill at mit.edu
Fri Jul 19 12:17:23 PDT 2019

Hi Colleagues,

I’ve written previously to talk about the decision by Nuance to stop supporting Dragon Professional Individual for Mac (formerly Dragon for Mac), which has left a huge gap in the voice recognition arena, especially for users who need to control the mouse with their voice and use custom vocabularies. There is a very in-depth article on the topic at https://tidbits.com/2019/01/21/nuance-has-abandoned-mac-speech-recognition-will-apple-fill-the-void/

As I was reading through the comments, someone mentioned that Apple is planning to add some of this functionality to their built-in dictation with the next version of the Mac OS. “At the recent announcement of the next Mac OS a new feature called Voice control was announced. It sounds like this feature will allow voice-based control of the mouse, via commands and a grid.” That comment was from June 8th of this year.

So, that’s good news. I hope it happens soon.

Have a good weekend,
Kathy

Kathy Cahill
Associate Dean, Accessibility and Usability
MIT Division of Student Life
77 Mass. Ave. 7-143
Cambridge MA 02139
kcahill at mit.edu<mailto:kcahill at mit.edu>