[Athen] [EXT] Sonocent

Sean Keegan skeegan at ccctechcenter.org
Mon Jun 3 10:24:56 PDT 2019

We ran a basic evaluation of a note-taking program in the CCC system and I
believe some of the most critical items for the success of any of these
software programs is to keep it simple for students, provide the software
app on the student's desired platform (e.g., mobile vs. laptop vs.
Chromebook), and have a person or people who can regularly engage with the
student to assess and refine the student's note-taking skills.

While such note-taking technology solutions seem straightforward, many of
us are in professional roles and have had MUCH experience in taking notes
throughout our college careers. For students who are new to college
note-taking and/or are working with audiences who do not easily adopt new
technologies, having a person available to work with a student on a regular
basis to refine the note-taking process is critical. The technology
component has to be as simple as absolutely possible so that there is
opportunity for a college professional to work with students on developing
note-taking skills rather than jumping through all the hoops required to
operate the note-taking software or device.

I did see another note-taking company at CSUN this past year called Note
Taking Express (https://notetakingexpress.com/) that looks interesting.
Both Sonocent and Note Taking Express have pros and cons from a technology
perspective, but after reviewing much data, I feel the most important
component is having a person who can regularly assist a student with
note-taking skill development.

Take care,
Sean