[Athen] Seeking sample text-based anatomy/physiology questions

Deborah Armstrong armstrongdeborah at fhda.edu
Thu May 2 12:20:32 PDT 2019

I'm trying to help one of our counselors work with an instructor on accommodating massage exams for a visually impaired student.

Because the student is a competent reader of large print, most instructors assume she should be able to easily cope with the myriad of anatomy and physiology drawings required to interpret. This has gone well for the student until she needs to take exams that contain drawings. The combination of her limited vision and exam stress is making it difficult for her, even with magnification.

I suggested that we negotiate with the instructor to provide some questions that were not based on diagrams, that would allow the student to demonstrate her knowledge in an alternate way. When I talk with instructors, I typically provide examples and it gets the ball rolling. But I don't know much myself about this subject, and wonder if any of you have examples.

Our massage curriculum has always been highly visual. I find this sad, since massage therapy is a popular profession for blind people in America, the U.K. and Japan. And in the U.K. it's typical for blind people to train as physical therapists.

--Debee